Tiny hand

Tiny hand
November 20, 2010 (one day old)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Sunday, January 30, 2011

The best medicine

I went to see Cayden yesterday despite still being sick.  I took a couple Advil and I think they masked my symptoms enough to make me think I felt well enough to go.  But the Advil did nothing compared to getting to see and hold my little man.  That is truly the best medicine.  I know it was selfish to go, but I was very careful about donning a mask and scrubbing my hands and arms all the way up to my elbows. 

When I arrived at 3:00, he was pretty zonked out - he had a bath just a couple hours earlier and I think it wiped him out.  He showed no interest whatsoever in breast feeding, so the nurse hooked him up with a gavage feeding while I kangarood with him.  We tried again at his 6:00 cares and although he was more awake and alert this time, he only latched and sucked for maybe 5 minutes.  Nonetheless, the scale said he got 8 mls, so it was worth the effort. 

As of Saturday, they increased the amount of his feeds again.  Now he's up to 44 ccs of 26 calorie-fortified breast milk.  I think all of these increases are starting to pay off - he weighed in last night at 5 pounds 1 ounce!

I don't think I'm going to go in to visit him today.  I'm back to feeling pretty cruddy and with Jason leaving town again early tomorrow morning, I think it'll be best for everyone if I stay home and try to conserve what little energy I have for the week ahead.  It makes me so sad to think about missing him for just one day, but hopefully I can see him on Monday.

No comments: