Tiny hand

Tiny hand
November 20, 2010 (one day old)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Monday, January 10, 2011

The Preemie Purple Heart

I meant to post about this when I got it a couple weeks ago, but haven't had the chance until now.  A friend and former co-worker of mine, Michelle, gave me a wonderful gift - a necklace with a Preemie Purple Heart.  She happened upon it while attending a conference where the March of Dimes had a booth set up with them for sale.  She said when she saw them, she knew she had to get one for me.

An excerpt from the card that came with the necklace says:

"The Preemie Purple Heart is born of an idea borrowed from the U.S. Army, a medal given for being wounded in battle.  What bigger battle is there than the battle for life and the wounds of premature birth live on with the infant and family forever.  The color was once reserved for royalty, making it special and it is gender neutral.  The heart is not a solid color and the strips (I think they meant 'stripes') in each heart are a little different, just as every child and every journey is a little different, but the basic design is the same just like the basic experience is the same.  The heart is made of glass it is strong but not so strong it could withstand a crushing blow.  The premature child is strong but not invincible.  It is a heart because the heart is our center, its every beat renews life and hope, it symbolizes love.  At the bottom of the Preemie Purple Heart is a teardrop, it is symbolic of the tears shed during the journey of a premature family, good and bad, joy and sorrow."


I love my necklace and wear it every day along with my 'Jamison' and angel medallions.

For any of you who aren't familiar with the March of Dimes, they are a non-profit organization doing work to help moms have healthy babies and a big part of their research and education goes toward premature babies.  Ironically, last year, I donated money to another friend who walked to raise money in the annual March for Babies.  His preemie daughter will turn two very soon.  When I found out that he and his wife had a preemie, I felt bad for them, but had no idea what they went through.  Now I know!  The March for Babies is in April this year here in Denver.  I would love to walk in it and help raise money for the March of Dimes, but I'm not sure I should commit just yet.  Cayden will only have been home for a couple of months by that time (hopefully) and I think I should wait to see how things are going when the time gets closer.  In the meantime, if anyone wants more information about the March of Dimes and their work, check out their website: March of Dimes

And finally, the latest on Cayden . . . trudged through another good snowstorm to get to the NICU late last night.  Cayden looks great and is now three and a half pounds.  On my way there again soon to do some more PT.

No comments: