Tiny hand

Tiny hand
November 20, 2010 (one day old)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I forgot what I was going to say

Earlier today, I had something in mind to write about for today's post, but my mind has been hijacked by thoughts about and concern for another baby.  My former NICU mom-friend, Jessica, who took her baby, Bianca, home just a couple weeks ago, had a terrifying experience last night.  Jessica found Bianca cold and blue.  She had stopped breathing.  She managed to resuscitate her by rubbing her back - the first time.  She stopped breathing again as they were rushing to the hospital but Bianca didn't respond the second time, so she had to do CPR on her until they got to the ER.  Thankfully, she is stable now, but she's intubated and back in the hospital, diagnosed with RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus, a virus that causes mild, cold-like symptoms in adults and healthy children but can be serious in babies, especially preemies.) 

Words can't describe how upset I am - for Jessica and what she went through, but also by the sobering reminder of how fragile our preemie babies are and will be even after we take them home.  I just can't get it out of my head.  I know so many of you have been praying for Cayden to do well, but if you wouldn't mind adding a prayer for Bianca's sake, I'm sure her mom would appreciate it.

The biggest news from Tuesday is that Cayden took two full bottles during the night.  Considering he's only been doing this bottle thing for a couple of days, that's amazing progress!  Thankfully, he is still doing well at actual breast feeding too.  Another tidbit of news is that they switched the type of machine that delivers his oxygen to the low-flow cannula.  It will allow the nurses to more precisely control the amount of oxygen he's getting.  The switch was made out of concern for his eye exam results.  When a baby gets too much oxygen, it can lead to an increased likelihood of developing ROP, so they want to be sure he doesn't fluctuate into the high end of oxygenation, which he has been doing in the past.

Tuesday night, he gained two more ounces, weighing in at 4 lbs. 10 oz.

Today (Wednesday), due to other appointments I had during the day, I visited Cayden early in the morning and was barely able to stay a couple hours.   He breast fed and did well and has taken two more bottles as of this evening.  His weight was up another ounce, so he's now 4 lbs. 11 oz.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That RSV is nasty stuff!!

TheAutoMomma said...

I'm so happy to hear about Cayden and so sorry to hear about baby Bianca. That is so scary. I am very sorry I couldn't cover any time with Jamison this week, but next week I can definitely cover some time. Email me what time you need people for next week! Bianca and Jessica are in my prayers. Cayden and your family remains in them.