Tiny hand

Tiny hand
November 20, 2010 (one day old)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Not a good evening

I went to visit Cayden this afternoon.  We dry-breasted and then kangarood and things seemed to be going well.  When we woke him up to put him back in his crib around 5:30, his feeding had just finished and he desatted for a minute, but everything was fine and dandy when I left around 6:00.

I just called and talked to Nurse Valerie and she said he had a very significant brady that actually scared her around 7:30 tonight.  Again, it was at the end of his feeding but this time, she had to manually bag him to get him out of it.  She's very certain all of these episodes are related to reflux - the question now is how to treat the reflux.  In addition to stretching his feeds out over a longer time period and keeping the head of his crib elevated, she thinks he'll do better if they keep him on his tummy or side rather than on his back.  The episodes are always occurring when he's on his back.  She's going to talk to the primary doctor when he comes in tomorrow morning to determine what else, if anything, they should do right now.  The medication Prevacid is one option; thickening his breast milk feeds is another. 

On a more encouraging note, they want me to start trying to breast feed him tomorrow with milk and everything.  Valerie said a lot of times breast feeding actually helps with the reflux - all the more reason to do it!

I was too upset and concerned over this brady episode to remember to ask about his weight tonight, but they did tell me earlier today that he's up to 35 ccs of breast milk at each feeding.  I just hope he can overcome this reflux hurdle . . .

2 comments:

gregt said...

I'm keeping little Cayden in my thoughts. Hope you get and stay well little kiddo!!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the bad Brady episodes and the reflux.
But jumping for joy that you get to try nursing! =)
I told the kids that I had a new picture of Cayden to show them and they sounded like a herd of buffalo running up the stairs to see it! XXOO