Tiny hand

Tiny hand
November 20, 2010 (one day old)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Friday, February 25, 2011

Return of the Masked Mama

Despite having a mild sore throat (I'm pretty sure I'm either desperately trying to fight off or catching what Jamison has), I went to visit Cayden at the hospital yesterday and today, so that meant wearing one of those lovely duckbill masks and washing like crazy.  I even make sure to change my clothes before I leave the house then I change into a hospital gown when I get there. 

Had a nice, reassuring conversation with the new fellow who took over a couple weeks ago.  They brought up the idea of Cayden going home with the gavage feeding tube at rounds and she wanted to talk to me more about that.  She said it is an option if I'm totally over him having to stay in the hospital just because he's not taking all of his milk by nipple, but not something they do very often.  I told her as much as I want him to come home, I'm not quite that anxious and maybe we can revisit the issue if he's still there in a few weeks.

Seems like maybe Cayden heard our conversation because he has been taking a lot more by nipple the last few days!  I don't have the exact percentages, but if I had to guess, I would say he's more in the 40-80% range now.  The doctor said she thinks this new four-hour feeding routine is doing the trick and I have to agree.  Which is fine by me, because if he comes home on a 4-hour schedule, that'll give me a heck of a lot more time between feedings than I anticipated.  With Jamison, I was nursing him every couple of hours!

Good news at the scale as well:  Cayden has been gaining again since Wednesday.  He was 6 lbs. 8.7 oz. on Wednesday night and 6 lbs. 10.6 oz. on Thursday night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If he does come home with the ng tube, Jeff can come over there the next time he is in CO and give you all kinds of handy tips! Connor came home with his on Feb 14th and didn't get his g-tube placed until May 5th.....it sucked big time because he kept pulling it out!