Tiny hand

Tiny hand
November 20, 2010 (one day old)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

More frustration

I feel like we're getting nowhere fast.  For the third night in a row, Cayden has not gained any weight.  In fact, he lost ten grams again last night.  I don't know what's going on.  It seems like he's stalled ever since they put him on the Simply Thick.  The hope was that it would make him take off - hardly.

I was so happy and relieved when he was awake, alert, and eager to breast feed last night.  He latched right on and sucked perfectly for a good, solid 15 minutes, so I was confident he got a good amount of milk.  When the nurse weighed him, the scale said he only got 5 mls.  Again, I don't know what is going on.  I know the scale is not always accurate and there is some fluctuation, but I thought for sure he got a good 20-30 mls at least. 

The doctors were doing their rounds while I was kangarooing after all this happened, and they asked if I had any questions.  I asked if they were concerned.  They said they weren't, but that they were frustrated like I was, and that he is likely just acting like a typical preemie - two steps forward, one step back.

No comments: