Tiny hand

Tiny hand
November 20, 2010 (one day old)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Finally going forward again

Thank goodness!  Cayden made up for not having gained any weight over the past few days by gaining a good amount last night.  He was up over 2.5 ounces and now weighs 5 lbs. 14.6 oz.  I sure feel better!  It's crazy how your mood is completely affected by and hinges on what that scale says every night.  Used to be that I'd pronounce it a bad day when I weighed myself and saw that I gained a pound or two -- now, I'm on the other side of that fence, praying for someone else to please gain an ounce or two!  Perhaps my prayer-wires got crossed somewhere in transit?  To clarify . . . Dear God, me: lose weight.  Cayden: gain weight!

Something else that made me feel better yesterday was an explanation about the Simply Thick additive.  I didn't realize that they're adding that to his milk but not compensating for the volume it displaces.  They add 15 mls of Simply Thick that has no caloric value, so he's losing 15 mls worth of calories from milk.  No wonder he's had trouble gaining weight since they started him on it!  15 mls times 8 feedings a day is a lot of calories to lose out on, especially when you're working so hard to ingest them to begin with.  The docs are supposed to adjust his total volume to make up for it and hopefully we'll be back on track.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Would LOVE to see a new photo of "chub-a-love!"
Because I know you have so much time! =)

Jess said...

I did not know that about the Simply Thick. I was just so happy that Bianca wasnt puking all the time from reflux. When we're home and I'm making a batch of milk to last the day it does certainly add volume. I'm so glad Cayden started gaining weight again.