Tiny hand

Tiny hand
November 20, 2010 (one day old)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Monday, December 27, 2010

Big ol' hat

Since Cayden is still supposed to be sequestered inside a warm, dark womb, it's not surprising that he doesn't care much for bright light.  The nurses try their best to keep it dim as much as possible, but they often have to turn lights on to do his cares.  Although they are pretty good about covering his isolette back up when they're finished, more light still gets in than he likes.  Apparently, he shows his distaste by desatting, so Nurse Zoe came up with a perfect idea today - she put a knit hat on his head and pulled it down over his eyes.  He looks so cute in it (although he kind of reminds me of the "Dumb Donald" character from the Fat Albert cartoon!)  It didn't seem to bother him, so if it works, I say go with it!

I worked again today and was so exhausted by the time I got to the NICU that I fell asleep with Cayden during kangaroo care.  He had a couple of bradys during that time but he came out of them o.k. after a little back rub from me.

Although I thought he was doing a good job of gaining weight, the doctors feel otherwise.  They would like to see him putting on more than he has been, so they upped his caloric supplement from 24 kcal to 26 kcal.  The supplement adds extra calories in the form of fat.  Are they telling me I haven't eaten quite enough Christmas cookies to pass along the fat I'm getting to my breast milk?  I'll try harder . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I remember being so upset when they would tell me that Connor wasn't gaining enough weight but that ME eating more would do nothing to help that! >:(
Love ya!