Tiny hand

Tiny hand
November 20, 2010 (one day old)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Sunday, December 26, 2010

"High-flow glow"

The whole family (mommy, daddy, and big brother) went to visit Cayden in the NICU yesterday on Christmas day. His gift to us was showing us how he can breathe on his own! 

Skipping days when you're blogging about a baby in the NICU can lead to leaving out little steps that happen in between posts.  I missed mentioning when Cayden went down one more notch on the CPAP to a setting of 4.  (I had previously been told that 5 was the lowest setting, but apparently it's not.)  So he was at 4 for a couple of days and did so well that yesterday, they took him off CPAP altogether.  Now he's receiving oxygen through a nasal cannula known as high-flow and doing all of the breathing on his own.  Daddy joked that he had the "high-flow glow".  I think it was us proud parents who were glowing!  Aside from the achievement of breathing, he should be more comfortable without all of the headgear, straps, and mask on his head and face.  Best of all, we can see his sweet face better without all those things in the way.

His weight has also been steadily increasing by about an ounce a day.  As of his Christmas night weigh-in, he was 2 pounds 14 ounces.

I visited him again this afternoon and he has been doing very well on the high-flow.  Nurse Shawna surprised me by dressing him in a tiny "Baby's First Christmas" onesie.  I found it yesterday when I pulled open his drawer to get a diaper.  It was labeled preemie size and although it looked tiny, I thought for sure it would be too big to fit him.  Turns out it fit!  I tried taking a picture with my phone - we'll see how it looks and if it's o.k. I will post it below.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way To Go Little Man!!!